Monday, October 31, 2011

An Opportunity Afforded (Part I)


Part I
It wasn't so much a choice as a necessity that we find ourselves in a home with a V8. "The best laid plans of mice and men go oft awry". We thought we had it all figured out before we moved up here. We would stay with friends for a while until we had enough money saved up to rent our own place. Rent being relatively inexpensive here as compared to Southern California, we thought it would be a month at most. 
Aria and Charlotte went up to Oregon ahead of me while I worked on finalizing my transfer within the company. While we were waiting for the transfer to complete, which took several weeks, I jumped from bed to bed, staying at friends' houses or with my mom. I tried not to stay in one place for too long so as not to wear out my welcome. They were kind enough to put a roof over my head after all.
It was in these few weeks of separation, being unsure about my future, and not having a place to call my own that I realized something: I was homeless. One could argue that I would always have a home to go to with my mom and so was not truly homeless. However, by the strictest definition of the word, I was homeless. We all were to a degree. We were at out lowest low. 
The good news finally came that my transfer had gone through. My new store liked what I had to say and needed my help and my old store was more than happy to let me pursue that. I was moving from a position that never fit quite right, like a shoe that was the right size but on the wrong foot, to a position that I was not only comfortable in but felt I could shine. I knew it would take a bit of re-learning but I had never entirely left the position, just changed a slight bit of my structure within it. With that, I gave my old store the customary two-week notice and prepared to move further from home than I had ever been before. 


Check back tomorrow for Part II

No comments:

Post a Comment